[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Warning: file_get_contents(/home/www/settings/mirror_forum_db_enable_sql): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/content/Forum/functions.php on line 8

Framed - movie guessing game - Red_Dragon - May 12, 2025 - 9:42am
 
Wordle - daily game - marko86 - May 12, 2025 - 9:41am
 
Trump - Red_Dragon - May 12, 2025 - 9:29am
 
NY Times Strands - ptooey - May 12, 2025 - 8:48am
 
Today in History - islander - May 12, 2025 - 8:47am
 
Celebrity Face Recognition - islander - May 12, 2025 - 8:07am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - islander - May 12, 2025 - 8:02am
 
NYTimes Connections - ptooey - May 12, 2025 - 7:42am
 
No TuneIn Stream Lately - rgio - May 12, 2025 - 5:46am
 
Global Warming - rgio - May 12, 2025 - 4:39am
 
New Music - miamizsun - May 12, 2025 - 3:47am
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - winter - May 11, 2025 - 8:41pm
 
Name My Band - GeneP59 - May 11, 2025 - 6:47pm
 
The Dragons' Roost - triskele - May 11, 2025 - 5:58pm
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - Manbird - May 11, 2025 - 5:26pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - epsteel - May 11, 2025 - 12:30pm
 
Ukraine - R_P - May 11, 2025 - 11:03am
 
Things You Thought Today - GeneP59 - May 11, 2025 - 9:52am
 
Breaking News - Steely_D - May 10, 2025 - 8:52pm
 
May 2025 Photo Theme - Action - fractalv - May 10, 2025 - 7:54pm
 
Republican Party - Red_Dragon - May 10, 2025 - 3:50pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - May 10, 2025 - 2:16pm
 
Israel - R_P - May 10, 2025 - 1:18pm
 
Real Time with Bill Maher - R_P - May 10, 2025 - 12:21pm
 
Artificial Intelligence - q4Fry - May 10, 2025 - 10:01am
 
No Rock Mix on Alexa? - epsteel - May 10, 2025 - 9:45am
 
Kodi Addon - DaveInSaoMiguel - May 10, 2025 - 9:19am
 
What Makes You Laugh? - Isabeau - May 10, 2025 - 5:53am
 
Upcoming concerts or shows you can't wait to see - KurtfromLaQuinta - May 9, 2025 - 9:34pm
 
Immigration - R_P - May 9, 2025 - 5:35pm
 
Basketball - GeneP59 - May 9, 2025 - 4:58pm
 
The Obituary Page - GeneP59 - May 9, 2025 - 4:45pm
 
Pink Floyd - miamizsun - May 9, 2025 - 3:52pm
 
Freedom of speech? - R_P - May 9, 2025 - 2:19pm
 
Questions. - kurtster - May 8, 2025 - 11:56pm
 
How's the weather? - GeneP59 - May 8, 2025 - 9:08pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - May 8, 2025 - 7:27pm
 
Save NPR and PBS - SIGN THE PETITION - R_P - May 8, 2025 - 3:32pm
 
How about a stream of just the metadata? - ednazarko - May 8, 2025 - 11:22am
 
Baseball, anyone? - Red_Dragon - May 8, 2025 - 9:23am
 
no-money fun - islander - May 8, 2025 - 7:55am
 
UFO's / Aliens blah blah blah: BOO ! - dischuckin - May 8, 2025 - 7:03am
 
Positive Thoughts and Prayer Requests - miamizsun - May 8, 2025 - 5:53am
 
Into The Wild - Red_Dragon - May 7, 2025 - 7:34pm
 
Get the Money out of Politics! - R_P - May 7, 2025 - 5:06pm
 
What Makes You Sad? - Antigone - May 7, 2025 - 2:58pm
 
USA! USA! USA! - R_P - May 7, 2025 - 2:33pm
 
The Perfect Government - Proclivities - May 7, 2025 - 2:05pm
 
Musky Mythology - R_P - May 7, 2025 - 10:13am
 
Living in America - islander - May 7, 2025 - 9:38am
 
DQ (as in 'Daily Quote') - JimTreadwell - May 7, 2025 - 8:08am
 
Pakistan - Red_Dragon - May 6, 2025 - 2:21pm
 
SCOTUS - R_P - May 6, 2025 - 1:53pm
 
Canada - R_P - May 6, 2025 - 11:00am
 
Solar / Wind / Geothermal / Efficiency Energy - ColdMiser - May 6, 2025 - 10:00am
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - ColdMiser - May 6, 2025 - 8:06am
 
What's your mood today? - GeneP59 - May 6, 2025 - 6:57am
 
China - R_P - May 5, 2025 - 6:01pm
 
Trump Lies™ - R_P - May 5, 2025 - 5:50pm
 
Song of the Day - rgio - May 5, 2025 - 5:33am
 
Love the Cinco de Mayo celebration! - miamizsun - May 5, 2025 - 3:53am
 
how do you feel right now? - miamizsun - May 5, 2025 - 3:49am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - May 5, 2025 - 3:48am
 
The Bucket List - Red_Dragon - May 4, 2025 - 1:08pm
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - winter - May 4, 2025 - 9:28am
 
Australia - R_P - May 3, 2025 - 11:37pm
 
M.A.G.A. - R_P - May 3, 2025 - 6:52pm
 
Democratic Party - Isabeau - May 3, 2025 - 5:04pm
 
Philly - Proclivities - May 3, 2025 - 6:26am
 
Race in America - R_P - May 2, 2025 - 12:01pm
 
Multi-Room AirPlay using iOS app on Mac M - downbeat - May 2, 2025 - 8:11am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - black321 - May 1, 2025 - 6:44pm
 
Museum of Iconic Album Covers - Proclivities - May 1, 2025 - 12:24pm
 
Regarding cats - Isabeau - May 1, 2025 - 12:11pm
 
When I need a Laugh I ... - Isabeau - May 1, 2025 - 10:37am
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Mixtape Culture Club Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 364, 365, 366  Next
Post to this Topic
KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 2, 2026 - 1:29pm

 ColdMiser wrote:



Love the Bandcamp.
I've made many purchases of my favorite drug there.


ColdMiser

ColdMiser Avatar

Location: On the Trail
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 2, 2026 - 8:16am

 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:

Save the Whales. I’m familiar with The Pursuit of Happiness. I even have a couple of their songs on my playlist filed under “Power Pop”. This is great with its psychedelic undertones. Me likey!

I was turned onto them when Todd Rundgren produced their first 2 albums. Love all their stuff. Wish they were still around. 

The Size of My Fist- I’ve never heard of The Woodrow Wilsons. A very nice acoustic song. I will dig deeper into this group.

Confession, I never heard of them either. I went looking for bands with "patriotic" names and this popped up. Checked them out on Bandcamp and liked what I heard. 

Dead Presidents- Never was a big fan of the J. Geils Band. The blues driven harmonica always turns me off. I know, I’m in the minority here. Ask me if I care.

Always loved Peter Wolf’s later solo stuff through.

I know Geils gets put in the Blues category a lot, but they played kick-ass blues with a flair. I know your dislike of the Blues in general, myself I can only take so much. But Geils I can listen to anyday.

Dirty Water- The wife and I went on a tour of the Revolutionary War last July. We did a “Duck Tour” of Boston while we were there. My wife gets on me every time when I answer all the questions brought up by the guides. I upstaged the guide on the Duck Boat when we dropped into the River Charles about The Standells.
What a classic Garage Rock song.

I grew up in the suburbs of Boston and have always loved that city. If you like history it's got it in spades. Done the Duckboat tour a few times, the drivers are usually hysterical. Best tour evah was a walking tour with a guy from Southie in a Celtics jersey with the classic Boston accent and lingo. History with a side of comedy. 


This was a great mix for the 250th.! I really enjoyed it
Thank you.

I'm sorry I was so late with this.


I appreciate the great review, better late than nevah! 



ColdMiser

ColdMiser Avatar

Location: On the Trail
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 2, 2026 - 8:04am

 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:
First Aid kit does an awesome cover too...





Wow! That was pretty good for a couple of Swedish girls. I wish I was aware of it, I would have used it on the mix. I saw them live once, opened up for Lord Huron, at Forest Hills in Queens where the US Open used to be played before they built the current complex. Great show, they were very enjoyable. 

KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 2, 2026 - 7:47am

 ColdMiser wrote:

Going into the year 2026 I wanted to put together a mix to celebrate the upcoming 250th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. 


America- One of my favorite Simon and Garfunkel songs. It’s up there as one of my favorite all time songs. The lonely, aching lyrics really hit me. That line “And the moon rose over an open field...” Sheesh.

Song for America- I never was a big fan of Kansas- the band. By this time, I just about had it with FM classic rock. I’ve never heard of this one before because of that. Kind of big and pompous. Goes with the territory I suppose.


Proud to Be An American- Those Tubes guys are always poking fun at numerous items. Never heard this one by them. Not bad. “A baby’s arm holding an apple!” notwithstanding.



Save the Whales. I’m familiar with The Pursuit of Happiness. I even have a couple of their songs on my playlist filed under “Power Pop”. This is great with its psychedelic undertones. Me likey!


Indian Reservation- I still have my 45 of this song. This was their last big hit. Not a bad song. Kind of silly. And the reference to the Cherokee aren’t real accurate. Looking into this song... I didn’t realize it was a cover of a cover.

The Size of My Fist- I’ve never heard of The Woodrow Wilsons. A very nice acoustic song. I will dig deeper into this group.


Dead Presidents- Never was a big fan of the J. Geils Band. The blues driven harmonica always turns me off. I know, I’m in the minority here. Ask me if I care.

Always loved Peter Wolf’s later solo stuff through.

The Day John Kennedy Died- I remember that day. I don’t remember this song. I haven’t followed Lou Reed real close but always liked what I’ve heard. This is a really nice story song.

James K. Polk- There’s nothing like a song about a president that people hardly talk about... from a band who goes out of its way to be out there. All with an accordion and a saw! Nice and quirky!

Dirty Water- The wife and I went on a tour of the Revolutionary War last July. We did a “Duck Tour” of Boston while we were there. My wife gets on me every time when I answer all the questions brought up by the guides. I upstaged the guide on the Duck Boat when we dropped into the River Charles about The Standells.
What a classic Garage Rock song.

Fall in Philadelphia- Never heard this... but it is nice. 

Raining in Baltimore- I’ve always liked the Counting Crows. Why all the hate? This is a great, sad song. 

Independence Day- Love Elliot Smith. This particular song makes me feel good. I’m not a big lyric follower usually. His songs make me listen harder.

4th of July – I just love this song. I like the version by fellow music collaborator Dave Alvin too. I always put this one on every 4th
of July. Or anytime I want to hear it. 

4th of July- I’ve never heard this by Sweet. Glamness ensues! 

Flags of Freedom- Neil and his political awareness at his best.

Ragged Old Flag- Nice history lesson from Johnny.

Star Spangled Banner- God job Jimi!

This was a great mix for the 250th.! I really enjoyed it
Thank you.

I'm sorry I was so late with this.






























KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 2, 2026 - 7:41am

 ColdMiser wrote:


Thanks for the stellar review! I will have to look into Bowie's version of America. The only other one I've heard is the one by Yes, that depending on my mood either sucks or is the greatest cover ever. 
First Aid kit does an awesome cover too...




miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3283.1 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 2, 2026 - 5:13am

 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:
Or Mr. Dan.
Is he still in this group?



in my defense i'm a working man 
nose meet grindstone 


edit: i am enjoying the music when time allows and i appreciate every single disc/effort 


ColdMiser

ColdMiser Avatar

Location: On the Trail
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 1, 2026 - 2:17pm

 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:
Or Mr. Dan.
Is he still in this group?



He is not, he turned in his resignation a year ago or so. If you have been sending him your mix and he hasn't made any comment you can give him a pass. 

KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 29, 2026 - 3:31pm

 ColdMiser wrote:

Don't sweat it! Could be worse, you could be as behind as Miami! 

Or Mr. Dan.
Is he still in this group?


SeriousLee

SeriousLee Avatar

Location: Dans l'milieu d'deux milles livres


Posted: Sep 29, 2026 - 11:09am

Will try to get my contribution out by Thursday. But should be out Friday at the latest. Had a lot of fun doing my last one (really enjoyed it), but this one is a chore.
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 28, 2026 - 4:12pm

 ColdMiser wrote:
Amelia Coburn - Where do you find these gems! I liked this from the start and played it on repeat 4 times before moving onto the next tune. Meandering and interesting lyrics set to a waltzing rhythm. "witnessing crows in their murder", I mean who writes like that? My favorite on the disc and in the running for best new song of the year for me.

This was a recommendation from a music blog, and at first the dreamlike quality kinda put me off. Repeated listenings made it more interesting, and the songwriting...well, that's what this disc is about, so it fit right in.
Hourglass - Real good deep cut from Squeeze. What happened to those guys? They were all over the place back in the day. 

I think there was some tension in the band between the principals. Interesting (to me anyway) is that the primary songwriter for the band isn't the singer, and he wouldn't accept any edits to the lyrics to make the songs more singable. Take it or leave it. Makes me think there are some unpolished gems out there somewhere that were just too awkward.

I'm With Her - Lazy 8 Special! Probably discovered in some Bozeman roadhouse. 

I think I was introduced to Sarah by one of DGV's mixdiscs, one of his Amazon freebies collections. Comes full circle. As for the band...it might have been on Chris Thile's radio show.

Very good flow of artists. Reminiscent of good college radio from back in the day. Interesting artwork, the cover evokes a religious experience forthcoming. The back cover looks like Washington crossing the Delaware with Sumo Wrestlers in the boat. Maybe I'm just seeing things.

Nope, that's a japanese-style painting of Washington crossing the Delaware. Probably AI, I swiped it from the web somewhere. Glad it was legible enough to make out!

I'm going to close with a plagiarized review comment from the Amelia Coburn website. "Lazy8 is a literate folk-goth. His song selections flicker in the moonlight, they look longingly through the mist"

Shucks. Thankfully no mention of timeliness!
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 28, 2026 - 3:51pm

First—apologies the mix missing the Elvis Costello cut. I blame the liquor. And Winamp. Really messes up the flow I had in mind for the disc.

 Dejaveux wrote:
See Saw - Amelia Coburn -  Sounds a lot like Stereolab would like to know the instrumentation they are using there is a lot going on back there. 
This may surprise but this reminds of the Doors too.   In any event I really like it.  As far as lyrics I am never the guy to go to for lyric interpretation in the first place so I have a feeling will be equally lost throughout this mix.

Amelia plays ukelele. You can see her play this live here:
Death With Dignity - Sufjan Stevens - Favorite song of the mix so far. I love Sufjan anyway but this actually does not sound like him to me the music does but not his voice. Love it either way but because I think Elvis got left off am not sure of song order now so we will see. In any event I love this song.

This is from an album he wrote about his late mother, Carrie and Lowell. It's pretty emotionally raw and can be a hard listen, but rewarding.

Krill - Hail Mary Mallon - I know this is Aesop must be a side project will look this up gotta look up the other emcees I actually am enjoying their verses better than Aesops. Great beat.

This was my introduction to Aesop, so I'm coming at it from the other end. I'll be exploring.

Ancient Light - I'm With Her - Never heard of them but I absolutely adore this. Terrific melodies and the fiddle completely elevates it to something more. Can't really categorize it and those are usually the best songs. Is that Chris Thile I hear sprinkled in background there somewhere?

That's Sarah Jarosz (star of the trio IMO) on octave mando. She is a phenomenal mando player, and her solo work reflects that too.

ColdMiser

ColdMiser Avatar

Location: On the Trail
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 28, 2026 - 9:03am

 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:
Hey now!
I'm doing yours to post today. Then I'll get Mr. 8's done soon after.
Besides... he cheated. He didn't have to do his own. 



Don't sweat it! Could be worse, you could be as behind as Miami! 

KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 28, 2026 - 8:29am

 ColdMiser wrote:

Way to set an example for the MCC! 

Hey now!
I'm doing yours to post today. Then I'll get Mr. 8's done soon after.
Besides... he cheated. He didn't have to do his own. 

ColdMiser

ColdMiser Avatar

Location: On the Trail
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 28, 2026 - 8:02am

 Lazy8 wrote:



And with that I believe I'm caught up. If I owe anyone else a review please let me know.

Way to set an example for the MCC! 
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 27, 2026 - 8:27pm

 ColdMiser wrote:

Going into the year 2026 I wanted to put together a mix to celebrate the upcoming 250th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. Over the course of the year I jotted down some tunes I thought would work without it becoming a standard thing you would hear on the radio or Sirius XM (although America by Simon & Garfunkle is a song I make sure I listen to every 4th of July so that one had to be included). It eventually molded into categories like one of my Mini Miser formatted mixes so I stuck with that. I did some digging and found some songs that were new to me, so hopefully new to you as well. 
Just noticed a typo in Cradles of Liberty. The Counting Crows song is Raining in Baltimore, not Philadelphia. Oops!

It's only September and I'm now caught up with July! Fireworks!

On the same drive I got caught up with DJV's box set—on the way to a political event, no less—I got to hear this patriotic disc. Just a few miles from the Canadian border. Here's what caught my ear.

Some familiar material here, but mostly stuff I liked already. Not least of which was the Simon & Garfunkel, one of their best efforts.

Kansas—new to me, and it sounded at first like Rush. More used to their guitar-centric music. But of course Rush is Canadian, so what sense would that make?

The Tubes are always good for a shot of Irony. Not familiar with their catalog, so this was fresh.

The Pursuit of Happiness—Never heard them before, and this is crunchy and clever.

The Woodrow Wilsons—not my favorite president but this is terrific.

They Might Be Giants—Clever as usual, but surprisingly accurate. And how often do you get to hear Theremin in a song about a president?

Counting Crows—Loved this the first time I heard it, and I finally got the mood that inspired it when I spent a lonely, rainy night in Baltimore.

Elliot Smith—Every one of his songs  is tragically beautiful, and this is no exception. Excellent choice.

X—Another sad masterpiece. Seems fitting this year, don't it?

Neil Young—Sad how this keeps being relevant.

Jimi Hendrix—I first heard this when my 8th grade history teacher played it to get our reaction. I thought it was sacrilegious, but today it makes perfect sense.

You have painted a colorful, nuanced picture of our homeland. I salute you, sir! 

And with that I believe I'm caught up. If I owe anyone else a review please let me know.
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 27, 2026 - 2:04pm

 Dejaveux wrote:

Ok here goes again long story short I have found myself living in a shotgun shack in the middle of nowhere just as David Byrne prophesied.

This mix is a celebration of reaching a final destination: 

                               Boondocks


1. Country Trash.......................................Johnny Cash

2. Chicken Pie.........................................Old Crow Medicine Show

3. Country Sugar Momma.................................Howlin' Wolf

4. The Cat Song........................................Laura Nyro

5. I'm Going Down to the Country.......................Road

6. Country Life........................................Thunder And Roses

7. Big Escape..........................................Pearly Gate Music

8. Way Down The Old Plank Road.........................Uncle Dave Mason

9. Country Song........................................Automatic

10. Going Up the Country Song...........................Kitty Daisy and Lewis

11. Any Old Road........................................Balsam Range

12. Black Eyed Dog......................................Nick Drake

13. Curs In the Weeds...................................Horse Feathers

14. I Ain't Fattenin' No More Frogs for Snakes..........Joseph

15. Horses..............................................Bonnie Prince Billy

16. How Come My Dog Don't Bark When You Come Around.....Guitar Shorty

17. Degenerate..........................................Vic Chestnutt

18. How Many Horses.....................................Dust

19. Country Clutter.....................................Dolorean

20. Shhh................................................Slug

21. Cowboys.............................................Portishead

22. Country Boy.........................................Fuzzy Duck

                                   II.
1. Country Song.......................................Rossi

2. Farmyard Yodel.....................................Chad Morgan

3. Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens..................Louis Jordan

4. Dans Le Grand Bois.................................Hackberry Ramblers

5. Parchman Farm Blues................................Bukka White

6. A Chicken Ain't Nothing but A Bird.................Cab Calloway

7. Down on the Farm...................................Gary Higgins

8. Cowpoke............................................Colter Wal

9. I Went Down To Georgia.............................Lost Dog Street Band

10. Black Dog..........................................Ray Wylie Hubbard

11. Hollow Trees House Hounds..........................Cate Le Bon

12. Tom Cat............................................Muddy Waters

13. Going Up The Country...............................Henry Thomas

14. Ain't No Ash Will Burn.............................Matt Heckler

15. Woodburning........................................Toad The Wet Sprocket

16. Dog................................................Charlie Parr

17. Where I'm Going....................................The Wild Reeds

18. Rooster............................................Toubab Krewe

19. Return Of The Fisherman............................Ian Brown

20. Warrior Man........................................Joey Aces

21. Long Haired Mare...................................Cashavelly Morrison

22. Little Red Rooster.................................Big Mama Thornton

Sorry it took so long to review, but in my defense i had 4 discs to listen to, two of them customized for me...but otherwise unmarked. I never knew which set I was listening to, so I put the whole batch into the car cd player for a long trip and enjoyed. 

And as a fellow homesteader and boondock dweller I gotta say I get it. And I appreciate the custom discs!

Standouts for me:

Johnny Cash? Well, yeah. Of course.

Old Crow: OK, chickens. Um...sure. 

Laura Nyro: Could have sworn this was Carol King.

Uncle Dave Mason: Interesting to hear foot percussion this far south. Fun song.

Automatic: Hard to figure out which band named Automatic this is, and I don't remember them from the skinny necktie synthesizer '80s, which they sound like, but it seems more modern. Very cool.

Kitty Daisy and Lewis, Henry Thomas: interesting thread thru a tune and its history.

Balsam Range: Better country song than you hear on the radio these days. Damn Nashville.

Nick Drake: A lovely familiar tune, but at first I thought it might be Phil Ochs. And it fits the mini cats&dogs theme.

Horse Feathers: Lovely dark brooding music.

Joseph: More early '60s vibe. Straight out of the Haight.

Vic Chesnutt: Always happy to hear him. This sounds sadder when I know how the story ends.

Slug: I don't think I've ever heard anyone rap about Minnesota before. Midwestern nice.

Portishead: Listening to this I thought No way! This sounds like Portishead. Who is this really? Don't really have a point, just surprised to hear this.

Fuzzy Duck: Frank Zappa meets Steppenwolf?

II

Rossi: Was wondering how this fit your theme until the end. Nice bit of texture.

Gary Higgins: Nice menacing growl.

Colter Wal: Cowboy yodeling that doesn't make we want to hurl. Nice.

Lost Dog Street Band: Nice homespun character.

Cate Le Bon: Feels like a beanbag chair in a London salon in 1967.

Toad: They were better songwriters than I gave them credit for.

Charlie Parr: Great pickin'.

Toubab Krewe: This sounded familiar, but not an artist I know. Guess I just like it.

Ian Brown: Hypnotic and intriguing.

Cashavelly Morrison: Wow, a new artist to me and an original song that sounds like an ancient English ballad. Great voice as well. Can't say enough goo things about this. The steel guitar is a nice touch too.

Thank you for livening up a 5 hour trip! And I appreciate the custom touches. 
KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 22, 2026 - 11:20am

 ColdMiser wrote:

If you're behind in your reviews get them done. 


I know. I know.

Dejaveux

Dejaveux Avatar

Location: Fiddy bucks


Posted: Sep 22, 2026 - 8:56am

 ColdMiser wrote:

Just a quick note from your friendly moderator of the organization. Summer is over you slackers! If you're behind in your reviews get them done. When it's feasible try and get the review in within a few weeks of getting the mix in the mail. 
Up next in the rotation for September is SeriousLee. Hope he has some good Canadian cooking coming our way. 
Now back to our program in progress. 


Excellent moderation Sir!
ColdMiser

ColdMiser Avatar

Location: On the Trail
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 22, 2026 - 8:34am

Just a quick note from your friendly moderator of the organization. Summer is over you slackers! If you're behind in your reviews get them done. When it's feasible try and get the review in within a few weeks of getting the mix in the mail. 
Up next in the rotation for September is SeriousLee. Hope he has some good Canadian cooking coming our way. 
Now back to our program in progress. 
ColdMiser

ColdMiser Avatar

Location: On the Trail
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 22, 2026 - 8:29am

 Lazy8 wrote:

Seeing none...


The theme for this disc is a simple question: what the hell is song even about? What do these lyrics mean?

I don't know. If I spend the rest of my life failing to figure them out it will have been time well spent, and I still love these songs. I hope you do too. 


Here we go, another quality mix from the hills of Montana. Always a pleasure to the ears. So let's dig into the strangeness. 

Big Thief - Welcome back to the RPMCC stage! I haven't heard a bad tune from these guys here yet. 
Amelia Coburn - Where do you find these gems! I liked this from the start and played it on repeat 4 times before moving onto the next tune. Meandering and interesting lyrics set to a waltzing rhythm. "witnessing crows in their murder", I mean who writes like that? My favorite on the disc and in the running for best new song of the year for me. 
Cross-eyed and Painless - Awesome percussion, just a master class in Cowbell
Hourglass - Real good deep cut from Squeeze. What happened to those guys? They were all over the place back in the day. 
Sufjan - Such a unique artist, song structures and quirky lyrics are his signature. Death with Dignity indeed!
Sam Beam and Jesca Hoop - Nice harmonies here.
Beck - I can take or leave this guy, but I like the way he works the harmonica into this track. 
Running from Mercy - The Duchess of Coolsville! All time top 5 artist in the Cold Miser pantheon. Love her voice. Songwriting extraordinaire! Good selection. 
I'm With Her - Lazy 8 Special! Probably discovered in some Bozeman roadhouse. 
Seed of Wonder - More Hoop! Not too much of a good thing either, she's the goods. 
The Romeos - I'll bet these guys kick it live! 
REM - These guys were so good, nice to hear a deep cut I'm not familiar with. 
Tiny Cities Made of Ashes - I knew a bartender in Manhattan that was a huge Modest Mouse fan. I haven't thought of him in quite awhile. "The world is my Ashtray" odd tune, odd ending. Dare I say "Strange"?

Very good flow of artists. Reminiscent of good college radio from back in the day. Interesting artwork, the cover evokes a religious experience forthcoming. The back cover looks like Washington crossing the Delaware with Sumo Wrestlers in the boat. Maybe I'm just seeing things. 
I'm going to close with a plagiarized review comment from the Amelia Coburn website. "Lazy8 is a literate folk-goth. His song selections flicker in the moonlight, they look longingly through the mist"
Great job as always Marty!



. 
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 364, 365, 366  Next

Warning: pg_close(): supplied resource is not a valid PostgreSQL link resource in /var/www/html/rp3.php on line 474